Friday, December 18, 2009

Getting Vista on my eee PC was surprisingly easy, but I did have trouble browsing...

It was very strange--right after getting Vista up and running, I had serious trouble loading certain websites.  My own would load fine, but I couldn't get to *Microsoft's*.  As I clicked on Netflix's "install Silverlight" button (which is the only reason I was bothering with dual booting between Vista and Linux in the first place) I got one of those fun "domain unavailable" kind of error messages from both Firefox and IE.  Hell, I couldn't even get to GetFirefox.com, I had to dump the installer onto a thumb drive after downloading it on my Mac.

So, the gist of it is: Vista was blocking some sites but not others.  First, I thought it was some "net neutrality" thing, but once I saw Microsoft's Silverlight download page being blocked, I knew it was probably just some configuration screw up someplace.  So, here's what I did:

I followed the instructions here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/236769-44-problems-websites-vista#t860080

In short, poster "Scotteq" explains:

Start - in the search box type: CMD
In the dialog box that comes up type: netsh winsock reset
Then press the enter key to execute the command
Restart your computer

That seemed to do the trick.  Well, that or shutting down Vista's firewall.  One or both did the trick.  I'm now installing the free Zone Alarm and Threatfire as I type this.  I've used them both on previous installs of Windows and recommend them.

And, as I've said before, yes, Vista seems to run just fine on the eee 4G pc.  I'm a little puzzled as to why Asus didn't offer Vista with it instead of XP.  It was very easy to install (much easier than XP has been).  Of course, I'm not a poweruser of Vista, nor do I plan to be.  I just want to have portable Netflix streaming.  Also, I can plug a monitor cable into my eee and my HDTV and watch Netflix that way, too. :)

I'm honestly pretty stunned at how easy it has been to set this up.  Maybe Microsoft is... getting better?

 

Now *that* can't be right...

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: