Friday, December 18, 2009

One sentence of Kurt Loder's review of Avatar was all it took to tell me what was wrong with "Avatar."

"But all of this expensive tech has been put at the service of a story so triflingly generic, you wonder why anyone would bother to tell it."

While I don't read Rolling Stone or watch MTV, I've almost always respected Kurt Loder's opinion on movies. A couple paragraphs in on his review (hit the MTV.com link above) he says the above quote.

'nuff said!

Sadly, I'm still hoping to find the chance to see it on the big screen *because* of all the FX in it, but now I know that, like "Titanic," it's only going to be about the spectacle and not about the story at all.

It's really a shame, since at one time, Jim Cameron could make a movie that had both great FX and a really good story. The first "Terminator," "Aliens" and "The Abyss" (yes even with the cheesy-ass ending) are all among my favorite movies. But "Titanic" was a titanic piece of crap, story-wise, that couldn't even manage to get "cliche" right. Hell, even the FX weren't as impressive as we were led to believe.

Ah well, I think, like "Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith" was the last "George Lucas" movie I'd be willing to pay for, "Avatar" will be my last "Jim Cameron" movie.

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: