Thursday, February 11, 2010

BusinessInsider.com tells us how to keep our Google Buzz contacts private, PLUS: my personal concerns with gBuzz

How to make your buzz followers private
Feb 11 2010, 03:51 PM EST

Google Buzz has a privacy flaw.

As a Google spokesperson asked us to put it:

"After you create your profile in Buzz, if you don't edit any of the default settings, someone could visit your profile and see the people you email and chat with most (provided you didn't edit this list during profile creation)."

We've prepared a step-by-step guide to making your Google Buzz follower lists private (and how to edit them, too).

If you don't want people knowing who you chat and email with most, follow these steps >

Photo: Grumpy Chris

I tried their guide and it seems to have worked. Check out http://www.google.com/profiles/thepete and see if you can work out who's following me and who isn't.

PLEASE let me know if you can work it out!

Of course, I'm still worried as to what Google is going to do with all this new relationship data it's gathering. It's now obvious Google can make pretty good guesses at who my friends and family are, the kinds of stuff I care about and more. I'm starting to think about switching away from gMail, actually... meh, who am I kidding?

OK, Google, I'll email you pics of me in the shower, right away! OH wait, I guess I can just upload them to my Flickr and you'll see 'em, right? ;)

Just my ¥2...

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: