Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Disappointed in Apple re: their big 10 Billionth iTunes song sale. :( I tried entering, but got errors when I clicked submit...

Shortly before I took the above screencap, I jumped over to 25 tabs
I'd opened in Firefox and began clicking reload on each tab. In each
one I had the "no purchase necessary" form open for Apple's "10
Billionth iTunes song" contest. The winner of which gets a $10,000
Apple card--which, if I won, I would quickly use to buy a MacBook Pro
to replace my quickly dying 3 year-old black MacBook (it overheats
fast if I don't have it on an empty aluminum drive case). The rules
say you can enter up to 25 times per day and there's an expiring
captcha on the form, which is why I started hitting reload on each
tab.

Once the 25th tab began loading a fresh captcha, I alt-1'ed back to
the first tab and started filling in my info. I did the same four
more times and then alt-`'ed over to Apple.com's counter page. That's
when I saw the above numbers. I wasn't going to have time to fill in
all 25 forms so I just started clicking "submit" on the ones I had
filled in, only to discover I was getting an error message. It was
saying something about "you've backed up too far." This made no sense
to me, so I quickly hit reload and got the same message again (I think
Firefox may have asked me if I wanted to resubmit the form data, which
I said "YES" to). But after reloading, it still gave me the same
error message. I had to open a new tab and fill in all my info again.
I did this a few times, but I can't be sure if I made it in before it
was too late.

SIGH.

Apple said I could enter with no purchase up to 25 times, but thanks
to a glitch on their site, I may have not been able to enter at all.

Another funny thing was that between today and last night I noticed
the counter backing up on it's self. It wouldn't literally count
backwards, but when I'd reload it, sometimes I'd see it lose 100,000
or so. Not often--but it definitely happened. Yesterday I watched it
crack 9,995,800,000 twice. Puzzling...

Posted via email from thepete's posterous

No comments: