Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Big Ideas podcast: a fascinating look inside India's culture and class system (you thought the US was bad?)

ORIGINALLY AIRED: May 29 05:00 PM

Robert Adams - The White Tiger

Robert Adams video button
Teacher, writer and critic, Robert Adams, reviews Aravind Adiga's Booker prize-winning novel, The White Tiger. Corruption, murder, and a series of letters composed by a former chauffeur allow the novel to explore India's caste system and how it's been affected by the country's economic miracle.

One thing I love about the 'net is how it connects me with ideas and information I'd never be exposed to inside the confines of my own life. The Big Ideas lecture series podcast does a great job of this. In the May 29, 2010 episode, we are treated to a talk bout a novel that follows an uneducated but not stupid Indian man--through his eyes we see an amazing and depressing India. It's incredibly fascinating and clocks in at around 90 minutes--PERFECT for listening to during that boring office job you've got that leaves the good half of your brain doing nothing all day. :)


I *love* the Big Ideas podcast. I've been listening to it on and off for years. I try to listen to every single lecture whether I'm familiar with the topic, care about it, or not, because I almost always learn something. So, if you're looking for something to listen to or watch that will make you think and probably teach you something, hit the Big Ideas main page at www.TVO.org. Or just subscribe to the audio or video podcast.

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: