Thursday, August 23, 2007

I’M KIND OF DONE WITH LOS ANGELES

No, I’m not moving from the city today but I have made plans to leave. No, I haven’t bought plane tickets or fueled up the scooter (hell, it needs to have it’s muffler welded back on) but I have made the decision to leave. That’s not to say I won’t stay if I have a good reason to.


Here’s the deal. I came to Hollywood to write good movies and/or good TV. I got here and discovered after years of working in the entertainment industry that people here pretty much only want to make broad, safe, risk-free programming for as many people as they can convince to watch. In other words, no one wants to be challenged or take any chances that an unproven product might bomb. Sadly, taking risks is how mankind moves forward. As a result, I’ve decided that this city is kind of a joke. The world of media is changing around them and they are not changing with it.


It’s not that Hollywood ate me up–it’s that it’s kind of toothless. Imagine trying to convince the smart kids to let you into chess club only, when you watch them play through the keyhole in the chess clubhouse door you see that they aren’t very good at the game of chess and aren’t really even sure how it’s played. This is my impression of Hollywood. Sure, there are some exceptions, but generally this place is just not the industry I want to struggle for years to break into.


Sure, if all of the sudden I meet George Lucas’ agent at the Ralph’s on the corner of La Brea and Fountain and he offers to buy my script, then, yeah, I’ll stick around.


If one of my friends still in the industry manage to hook me up with a publisher for one of my novels, sure–I’ll definitely hang around to collect a check.


However, there’s a big, big world out there and I’d like to see it. LA is a fun city to live in, but I’ve been here long enough and the world is waiting. TheWife feels similarly. If any of you have seen her perform live, you know she doesn’t belong on the LA stage, but on the Broadway stage. So, here’s the plan, starting, well, a couple months ago, we start saving to move from LA. I’ll save up enough to get us both to NYC and then I’ll go on to Japan for a couple years. Yes, she’ll stay in NYC and we’re staying together–we’ll just be apart chasing our dreams.


What am I going to do in Japan? Well, for starters learn the damn language the right way. Next, I plan on continuing to write and self-publish my own stuff. Since I’m in Japan I’ll try to hack my way into the animation industry over there which produces some of the most amazing stuff I’ve ever seen.


So, that’s the plan.


Now, if I can just get some sort of income in the meantime, we hope to be out of LA by January or February of 2008. Want to help? Click the red support links you see at the bottom of each post or just click on any Google ad you see floating around (every bit helps!).


And, of course, I’ll keep ThePete.Com going through all of this.


Original post by ThePete.Com



Orignal From: I'M KIND OF DONE WITH LOS ANGELES

No comments: