Thursday, August 02, 2007

SUNLIGHT FOUNDATION IS A GOOD DISINFECTANT

Here's another one I cam across while digging through some old bookmarks: SunlightFoundation.com. I think I first heard of them on the podcast from DemocracyNow.org. Essentially, SunlightFoundation.com believes in the semi-old adage "Sunlight is the best disinfectant." In other words, the more in the open government is, the more they'll be unable to do nefarious things.

That's my new favorite word for describing politicians and world leaders these days. I suppose I should look it up just to make sure it adequate fits, but I just got tired of resisting the urge to call them all "evil" since I don't believe in a real concept of evil, just degrees. So, I substitute "corrupt" for "evil" and that works well--until you're bored of it. Besides, "nefarious" has a much more devious feel to it.

ANYway, so the site seems to do a pretty good job of covering government and what they're up to. Sadly, they seem a bit too mired in the small stuff, here's a sampling of some of their recent stories:

Is There More Backsliding on Earmark Reform?

Visualizing Correspondence

Benefits in Admitting Failures

Debates 2.0

More Observations on Legislation 2.0

Legislation Web 2.0 Style

House Moves to Limit Family Business

Backsliding on Earmark Reform?

Those are just the last couple-handfuls of headlines. Yes, they do seem to be a bit obsessed with earmark reform.

So, as you can see, they're not exactly yelling "IMPEACH" or even "INVESTIGATE 911" or even "TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ", but their posts do seem interesting, just not terribly confidence-building. I could be wrong--why not check out SunlightFoundation.com and get illuminated yourself? .




Orignal From: SUNLIGHT FOUNDATION IS A GOOD DISINFECTANT

No comments: