Saturday, August 25, 2007

Skype's Amusing Service Agreement

I recently signed up for the "Skype Unlimited" calling plan after accidentally signing up for "Skype Pro". Is it me or do both of those sound pretty similar based on the titles alone? Ah well, Skype was cool enough to refund my money so I could turn around and sign up for "SU" which is where I found the amusing and a bit concerning Terms of Service. Check it out, with my commentary, of course!

Skype Unlimited Calling in US and Canada: Special Terms and Conditions

For a fixed fee, you get 12 months of SkypeOut calling within the 50 US states and Canada. The offer is reserved to residents of the US and Canada.


Oh, damn--so if I move to Japan before my 12 months are up I can't use it? Where's the logic in that? The calls are still going to America...

SkypeOut calls made as a result of using the "call forwarding" feature are excluded from the plan and will have to be paid separately.


GYP!

Once again, what's the difference between a call I make and a call someone trying to reach me makes? It's still a phone call to me. Incoming calls are free and thanks to signing up for "SU", so are outgoing calls.

This offer is valid for limited period of time and Skype reserves the right to end the offer, extend it or change it at any time and at its sole discretion.


OK, Mr. Control-Freak, reserve your right to refuse service! SHEESH!

For the first three days after you sign-up, your communications will be limited to seven hours a day.


"Once we decide we like you, talk all you want!"

Seriously--what's this about? 7 hours a day? Who talks that much anyway?

After this three day activation period, your communications within the US and Canada will be unlimited.


Thank you, Lord Vader...

However, Skype asks that you use the VoIP service fairly and sensibly,


This is AMERICA, bub! We don't know what "fairly" and "sensibly" means! (Just look at Iraq and Afghanistan if you don't believe me!)

for your regular communication purposes, and that you don't abuse the offer in any way.


This calling plan sounds more like "Skype Kinda Limited" to me...

Skype reminds you that your Skype account is for personal use only, and without limiting the foregoing,


"Without limiting the foregoing"?? WTH does that mean?? Maybe it means that without cutting back on the fact that it's for personal use...

you must not allow anybody else to use your account to make calls.


Whaaaaat?

That's absurd! I paid for unlimited calls!! This is NOT unlimited calls, folks.

Also you are not allowed to resell SkypeOut or other types of VoIP service.


DAMN! There goes my plan of building a pay phone with a Linux PC inside that I'd then install Skype on. I'D HAVE BEEN RICH!!

If Skype does see excessive use or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right to terminate your access to your account immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund.


Does that mean I can't use it as a can opener?

DAMN! This deal gets more rotten all the time!

Without limiting the foregoing,


There's that phrase again!!! WTH!!!

Skype will permanently suspend your account if somebody else uses your account to make SkypeOut calls.


How will they know? Will they monitor the calls? Tap my webcam? Does this mean I'll need to make sure everyone in the room is perfectly silent when I make a call? Or is my wife allowed to yell "hello!" at any friend or family member I call?

If you're using any service, proxy or other devices preventing us from locating you (for example by allocating you an anonymous IP address), Skype reserves the right to charge your calls to US and Canadian mobile and landline telephone numbers at the normal rates, regardless of your real location.


How precisely do you "locate" us, Mr. Skype? Or should I call you... Big Brother?

If the plan you purchased includes free minutes of SkypeOut credits to make international calls, the value credited to your Skype account will be based on the Skype global rates of USD 2.1 US cents or 2.4 CAN cents per minute to most popular destinations. Minute value obtained will vary in relation to other destinations and to mobile phones, for which other rates may apply. For more information about SkypeOut rates please visit http://www.skype.com/products/skypeout/rates/.


Wow--it sounds like this ToS isn't completely sure what calling plan it's for. LOVELY.

If the plan you purchased includes hardware coupons, the redemption and use of these coupons are subject to our partners' terms and conditions, including any applicable expiry date. Please check these conditions and make sure you redeem the coupons before they expire.


Yeah, what is this? This Terms of Service keeps referring to things this plan doesn't come with? What gives??

Your use of SkypeOut services under this offer is still subject to Skype's Terms of Service


Wait... this isn't the ToS?? These are the "Special Terms and Conditions". Ahhhh, CRAP. I HATE reading these damn things!

YOU WIN, SKYPE! TAKE MY FIRST BORN! SEIZE MY CAR! JUST GIVE ME THE DAMN SERVICE YA PROMISED!!

Of course, the joke is on you since I don't have any kids nor do I own a car.

HA! I WIN SKYPE!!

HAHAHAHAHA!

Orignal From: Skype's Amusing Service Agreement

No comments: