Friday, April 09, 2010

"I demand to be excommunicated because I do not condone child rape or the concealment of child rape." (just quit!)

" I demand to be excommunicated because I do not believe women are second-class citizens ."

That's a powerful sentence isn't? This is a small excerpt of an open letter. Written by a man who no longer wants to be even passively connected to the Catholic church and it's hypocrisies. And trust me, as strong as the first sentence of this excerpt is, I assure you the rest is equally so.

" I demand to be excommunicated because your missionaries are informing impoverished citizens of third-world countries that birth control is a sin when it is in fact the single most important thing they could do to gain some small amount of control over their economic situation and health. I demand to be excommunicated because your church has become a hate group as virulent as any this world has ever seen, one that is unnaturally obsessed with the sex lives of good men and women across the planet. I demand to be excommunicated because I do not condone child rape or the concealment of child rape."

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/dear-catholic-church-excommunicate-me/Content?oid=3799091

Dear Catholic Church: Excommunicate Me - Dear Catholic Church: Excommunicate Me - Seattle's #1 Weekly Newspaper. Covering Seattle news, politics, music, film, and arts; plus movie times, club calendar...

This is a similar attitude I had when I decided to leave the Democrat party. Even back in the 90s, I was confused as to how we could decry China for its human rights violations but then turn around and see Bill Clinton give them "Most Favored Nation Trading Status" which meant it was legal for American businesses to invest buckets of cash in China's economy.

In short, a Democrat (you know, one o' them latte-drinking, Volvo-driving, sushi-eating, libby, hippy, commie types), decided to ignore not just the human rights violations, but the whole "not being a democracy" thing, too--all so American businesses could tap a new market.

Same thing goes for Christianity. How the uber-Christians in the south can point their fingers and accuse Islam of extremist violence and pretend as though Christians weren't behind the Crusades or the Inquisition or modern-day abortion clinic bombings.

And for the other Christians, I wonder how they can be "passively connected" to organizations that hide the sexual abuse of hundreds of children. I wonder how they can count themselves as members of the same religion as someone who thinks murder is the way to stop murder.

It's this kind of hypocrisy that stopped me from being a Democrat, in part, keeps me from being Christian, and causes me to think about leaving America every day.

Because, don't forget--for almost all of the last decade, Americans have been doing some pretty horrible things to people, too. Blowing them up, torturing them, forcing them to live in a war zone... check out http://collateralmurder.com for a sad example).

The sheer number of things American humans are willing to ignore just to sleep soundly at night is pretty depressing and seemingly endless.

It's this willful ignorance, that I see in so many others, that will not take part in that has kept me blogging for the last 12+ years.

Um...weeeeeee...???

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: