Friday, April 30, 2010

RIP Leslie Buck, designer of one of the most iconic cups (and a one of my favorite mugs I've ever owned)...

The Anthora seems to have been here forever, as if bestowed by the gods at the city’s creation. But in fact, it was created by man — one man in particular, a refugee from Nazi Europe named Leslie Buck. (via Leslie Buck, Designer of Iconic Coffee Cup, Dies at 87 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com)

A few years back TheDad was in the MoMA gift shop and found ceramic replicas of this cup. He knew my love of NYCish items and bought one each for my wife and I. When I got them I was so excited because I'd seen the ceramic version online just days earlier. My wife looked at it and didn't get the significance (being a California resident her entire life), but then we started noticing them in movies shot in New York City. Then we moved here. This morning it was my wife that told me about Leslie Buck's passing.

Neat how life works sometimes... and sometimes sad.

RIP Leslie Buck!

I drank out of your cup only yesterday! You will never be forgotten!

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: