Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Get off the Sugar and other fake foods--humans evolved to eat organics, not man-made crap

The above media comes from nyc.gov/health via this post on garr.posterous.com.  Some of what follows comes from a comment on Garr's post about quiting sugary drinks--but I don't think sugary drinks is enough...

Back in 2003 I noticed I had a beer gut. The thing is, I don't drink beer--or alcohol of any kind. But, as a writer, I sat on my ass a lot and drank a lot of soda. One day, my wife gave me a book called "Sugar Blues," which explains the history of refined sugar and why it's probably not the best thing for you (it was once designated an "anti-nutrient" by the USG). The book, written in the 70s, encourages you to get rid of all of the "fake foods" in your kitchen and go all-natural. So, I thought, why not try it? Which is what I did.

Without changing my exercise habits (WHAT exercise habits??) I lost 20 pounds in a month.

My moods stabilized (I thought I was just a temperamental artist) as did my general health.

What's scary is that even now, seven years later, I still have intense cravings and urges for surgary foods. I will splurge once a month on something like ice cream, but sometimes I'll lose control and gorge. I'm so glad I took that chance because now I know how addicted my body is to this bad stuff.

So, when you see Jay ThePal associated with Mountain Dew, understand that there is NOTHING that is healthy enough to consume EVERY DAY.  So, don't do it.  And the next time you find yourself taking health advice from a guy made of foam and felt, you should probably be concerned for more than just your physical health ;P

And by the way, I don't think it should be our jobs as individuals to have to watch out for the food we eat. I think it should be a corporation's responsibility to provide healthy foods (especially when the products are marketed as healthy).  I don't want anything banned completely--I just want to be able to have real choices, which we really don't have now.  Either we eat cheap and unhealthy or we spend extra cash and eat healthy and everything has added salt and sweeteners.  Both are very bad for us.

Why should we have to spend more to be healthy? What's the point of corporations if they're only in this for themselves?  And don't think for a moment that food companies aren't out to get you--they are. So be on the lookout for bad stuff.  They want you fat, stupid and addicted to their product just like the cigarette companies.

The bottom line seems to be the ultimate addiction.

Posted via web from thepete's posterous

No comments: