Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Kid Uses a Pic of Mine for Sexism Project


Any of my regulars remember that little gem?

Well, it turns out that the youth of today are paying attention to the way women are being treated and one kid in particular decided she should write about it for a school project. Not only that, she spotted my great example of sexism in action (the picture above) and had her teacher contact me to ask for permission to use it. Of course, I gave it to them. The really nice thing is that her project is available online here:

http://ntstudent32.weebly.com/index.html

Here's a cutting from her project that appeared near my picture:

"Well our media is obviously biased and our men are also sexist. A man holds a poster saying, ‘she [Hillary Clinton] couldn’t satisfy her husband she won’t satisfy America”. A women’s ability to satisfy her husband in bed should never be compared to that of her capability to run for president. A man cheating on his wife should never be blamed on a woman and personal affairs should never be part of the elections. This shows how remnants of sexism is still alive in the 21st century."

Pretty sharp kid, I'd say--despite a few typos and her evidence clearly illustrating that there are more than just "remnants" of sexism still alive today. She also adds:

"The photographer mentions that the man holding the poster was in Hollywood and its shocking how no one took away the poster for being sexist but if it was a racist comments against Obama, I am pretty sure someone would have torn his poster down for being racist then why not for being sexist?"

She makes an excellent point. However, I'd have to say that the sign should never be taken away under any circumstances. This is still America, where (at least in theory) we still have the right to free speech. In short, your right to say stupid things and even incorrect things is sacrosanct. Social freedom of speech is something else entirely. Still she makes a powerful observation--if that guy had been slamming Obama for being black would he have been able to walk when I snapped that picture?

It's a shame that I didn't have a more visceral reaction to the sign. I smiled and thanked the man for holding the sign so I could take the picture as I walked by. I left him with the impression that I agreed with his message. Of course, then I put his picture on my blog and elsewhere on the 'net and criticized him for it. I wonder if that guy has a wife, sisters, a mother...I have all of them and I respect them all way more than he must respect the women in his life.

So, boo sexism, yay hope for the future!
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterz Replies.


Orignal From: Kid Uses a Pic of Mine for Sexism Project

No comments: