Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Very First Website EVER


OK, so this is a screencap of part of my original site--the rest of the page was just too ugly to show--as if this part wasn't bad enough.



However, it's kind of neat to see how things started out for me way back in early 1997.



I hadn't met my wife in person yet (we had met on the Internet by then, however) and it was obvious what I was passionate about.



"Star Wars" - Check out the background image--it was a B&W scan of the collectors card I got from the "Star Wars Special Edition" screening i went to at the Chinese Theater.



"I Hate Frames Club" - Sure, I experimented with frames--I think we all did. The important thing is that I came to realize that frames are wrong and an abomination.



Horoscopes - OK, even then, I viewed these every day as a fun little thing to read. I believed then and still believe now that it's more or less random coincidence when they are accurate.



Star Trek Free-Speech Campaign - this was an online movement fighting Paramount's attacks on Trek fansites that would use logos and pictures from "Star Trek" without permission. Way to bite the hand that spends millions on your damn franchise every year, Paramount!



"Otis the Elevator" - My old comic strip character. Talking elevator. Dig it.



"CNN Interactive" - This was the only reputable news source on the web in 1997 as far as I was concerned. The idea that I could watch tiny, low-rez footage of the bombing of the US Olympics less than twenty minutes after watching the same footage on TV gives me shivers to this day.



"X-Files" - 'nuf said.



"Holodeck 3" - My favorite Trek fansite of the day--they had their whole site done up with the LCARS motif. Made me angry that touchscreen computers didn't exist yet.



You can also note that the baby head stayed with me all these years. That's a different baby head, of course. I took that from a newspaper ad for something that I can't recall. The idea was that some dude named his kid after every player in a soccer team. So, on the "Hello My Name Is" label, were like ten names. I thought it was a funny image, so I cut it out and used White-Out on the other names, replacing them with just mine. When my manager at the Kinko's I worked at for a time didn't supply me with my own official name tag, I used this.



When I got my first scanner, I decided it would make a good name tag for my site. Eventually I swapped out the non-me baby head for my own at the age of seven months.



So, there ya have it! This should be the last trip down ThePete.Com/memorylane unless I manage to find more old HTML laying around. I'm moving in a couple of weeks, so it just might happen!
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterz Replies.


Orignal From: My Very First Website EVER

No comments: