Wednesday, April 16, 2008

National Conference for Media Reform, 6/6-6/8/8


I got this email today from Amy Goodman, host of the show I always post about, Democracy Now. No, I don't know Goodman personally, I'm just on a mailing list someplace. Not even sure which one or how I got on it--the point is, this is a good cause and I thought I'd post about it.



The National Conference for Media Reform is what it sounds like--a conference for media reform--why does media need reforming?



People completely miss the importance of the media, not only in America, but in EVERY democracy. People forget that a free press is the fourth branch of government, really. It's the only truly independent check and balance. I think it was Ben Franklin who said that if he had to choose between a strong government and a weak press or a strong press and NO government, he'd choose the latter. Why? My guess is that knowing what's going on is the most important thing.



Look at how badly the media did during the build-up to the Iraq war. The mainstreamers were so busy bad-mouthing the bloggers that they forgot to do what we've been doing all along--questioning authority, providing that check and balance. And guess what? The mainstream press got it all wrong.



They buried stories critical of the administration, ignored evidence of corruption and inaccuracy in what the USG is telling us and it's still going on to this day.



The mass media is dictating to us what is news and what isn't based on what they think we'll want to watch. Well, sometimes medicine doesn't taste good but we have to take it anyway. Likewise, forcing capitalism-centered motivations on a process that is meant to keep us educated about our world is completely illogical and goes against the very point of a free press and its function as an independent fourth branch of government.



Of course, that's my take. What's yours? Agree with me? Have a different opinion but feel like the media in the US is still a joke?



Well, maybe you should check out that conference in June. I won't be able to make it, but if you live near Minneapolis or can afford to go, DO IT! Get involved! It's the only way things will change.



Wow--the National Conference for Media Reform starts on my birthday--that'd be one helluva birthday pressie for a guy like me. :)
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterz Replies.


Orignal From: National Conference for Media Reform, 6/6-6/8/8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.