Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Why Is Obama Not Brainwashed by His Pastor?


I grabbed this screencap from Google News, back during all of the hubbub regarding Obama's former pastor. I think that article is supposed to be a pro-Obama article, but I still find the premise insulting (despite my Atheism) and I hope it's equally insulting to all people of faith.



The headline has someone called Ruben Navarrette Jr. answering "Why Obama's worldview varies from his [ex-pastor's]" I clicked on the link to make sure that was the full headline and it is (see it for yourself here: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8668584 ) but you don't need to read the article to see what the headline is doing.



It's suggesting that it's rational to assume that most people do exactly what their pastors, ministers, priests, rabbis, etc, tell them to, suggesting people of faith aren't capable of thinking for themselves--that they are not capable of knowing the difference between inflammatory rhetoric and literal, practical guidance for how to live your life.



Last time I checked, most folks who were religious weren't so dumb as to listen to a guy like Wright and think anything *but* "Wow, I think he is trying to make a political point!"



And yes, I know that some religious folks *are* brainwashed by their religious leaders, but to assume that most people of faith are yelling "HOW HIGH?" when their pastors yell "JUMP!" is pretty lame.
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterz Replies.


Orignal From: Why Is Obama Not Brainwashed by His Pastor?

No comments: