Saturday, March 14, 2009

Email Spam Just Isn't Going to Last

Like it or not, every industry has a cycle--a series of stages it goes through before it does one of two things:

1) Starts over and performs the cycle again

2) Dies forever

I've been online since 1995. I've seen all manner of email spam. I won't even bore you with those deets since I know you know what I mean. One thing I have NOT seen is innovation from email spam. I mean, "evolve or die," right? Well, check out the email I got earlier today:

FINAL NOTIFICATION

from DELL PROMOTION
reply-to dell.headquarter@btinternet.com
to dell@winners.com
date Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 12:36 PM
subject FINAL NOTIFICATION
12:36 PM (3 hours ago)

You have just been awarded,the sum of £750,000GBP in the DELL Award 2009, Anniversary Bonanza. held on March. For Claims email your details to: dell.headquarter@btinternet.com

Names:............
Address:..............
Country:................
Age:..........
Sex:..............
Phone/cellphone........

regard
Mrs. Rose Wood


Now, I'm sure some people out there would still fall for this and I understand how cheap it is to send millions of emails in a heartbeat. But is this REALLY worth their time?

In order for this scam to work, the sucker would have to give all the personal data (but no SSN??), answer the phone when the spammer called back and THEN be dumb enough to give up their bank account number when the spammer says "the only way to get your money is if we wire it to you."

Uh-huh.

Now, don't get me wrong--I'm as cynical as the next guy--I'm sure a few people still fall for this stupidity, but, really spammers? Is this the BEST you can come up with after nearly fifteen years of scamming people via email?

What has happened to American innovation?!?!

And it's not like it takes any effort to suss you fools out. I Googled the first sentence from that email and found this:

http://candyinn.blogspot.com/

It's a blog featuring nothing but email spam that includes many similar emails in its content stream.

You spammers are so predictable there's someone blogging about you.

Pitiful.

Orignal From: Email Spam Just Isn't Going to Last

No comments: