Friday, March 06, 2009

WATCHMEN (2009)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Definitely. This movie could have been MUCH worse. A movie for grown-ups about super-heroes. Go figure.


Technically any good? There were a few glaring exceptions, but generally the FX were spot-on. The story, for anyone who knows the graphic novel, is solid and thankfully, the film sticks with it for the most part. The script is tight and includes enough of the original dialog to make the purist in me happy (the cinematography did, also, thankfully). The acting was generally spot-on, as well. I think there were a couple of weak spots acting-wise and I couldn't quite tell what country one character was from because of their shifting accent, but, generally, no one was so bad as to knock me out of the movie.

Two flaws that jump out at me: some of the makeup and the music. I liked the use of pre-existing songs, but the score, while reasonable music on it's own, didn't really fit anywhere it was used. The makeup was a little too caricaturish and not accurate enough for a generally realistic looking film.


How did it leave me feeling? Definitely satisfied. I may be biased, however, as I'm quite used to seeing Hollywood screw the pooch on super-hero movies for decades. However, as far as I can tell, this movie was... actually good. I know--it feels weird for me to even say it.


Final Rating? GSN - Go See Now. It's got a lot of interesting things to say about humanity. It holds together pretty well and is a pretty faithful adaptation if the source material (which happens to be one of my favorite books of all time). BEWARE: this IS a super-hero movie, but it's NOT FOR KIDS. It's actually more violent than the comic it is based on and there's nudity (of both genders, so everyone can enjoy it! YAY!)

PLEASE NOTE: as I write this, I just got home from seeing it. It's 4:21am as I type this. I just might feel differently about this movie with more distance between it and me. But for now, I really did enjoy it quite a bit!

Orignal From: WATCHMEN (2009)

No comments: