Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Reaction to the Actual Battlestar Galactica Series Finale (no spoilers)

Two weeks ago, I had the idea that I probably wouldn't like the finale
of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. So, I decided to write my
own. I did the same with Star Wars: Episode 3 and it helped
me avoid therapy.

Earlier tonight I watched the BSG series finale and let's just say I'm glad I wrote my own first. I'm not saying mine was perfect, but as a first draft it rocked the pants of the one that got made.

Anyway, so, here's a spoiler-free sampling of my immediate feelings in the hour after watching it:

I tweeted my first post-viewing reaction to the Battlestar Galactica series finale about ten or fifteen minutes later:

Just finished the Battlestar Galactica finale (the
actual one). Did M. Night Shyamalan direct it? Because I hated it like
he did.

 
The following wasn't anything I wrote, but it also encapsulates my
feelings. It comes from Twitter-user Tim3PO who Tweeted:
 
Hey Ron Moore (aka George Lucas Junior), if your goal
was to destroy all that made BSG amazing, within one 3 part story.
Congrats A-hole

 
And then I went over to Battlestar Galactica composer, Bear McCreary's Battlestar blog to see if he had any release date for the season 4
soundtrack, which is all I'm really interested in at this point. Not
seeing any info, I took a gander at the comments on his "discuss the Battlestar finale" post. After reading mostly glowing, blindly
fanboyish reviews, I had to post something. Here's what I posted about the Battlestar Galactica series finale:
 
My wife and I watched the last two episodes
back-to-back earlier this evening. While watching the last two
episodes, I just kept thinking to myself: "I just want to know when
the season 4 soundtrack is out."

So, no offense to Bear, his music is brilliant, but his music was the best thing about the finale–sadly, that's not saying much. Completely disappointed in it (the finale). Not one resolution did I like. I'm glad I spent the last two weeks of my life writing my own finale, yes, just for fun (I'm a writer, so it's not a big deal–to me, the show is a big deal so I thought it was worth it).

Anyone who wants to enjoy how I'll pretend BSG ended can check out my website. It's not a perfect finale, but if you wait a few months for Bear's score to come out, you can listen to his music while you read it. Just add a ".com" to my user name and you're there.

Sorry for the shameless plug, but for crying out loud, I'm disappointed. -ThePete (a fellow huge fan of BSG who also loved it for the morally centered ambiguity.)

SIGH. I feel like I need to share my scripts as a form of support for those of us who feel like we deserved a better ending than we got. Or really, for those of us who are old enough to remember the last disappointing Battlestar Galactica series finale--the monstrosity that was Galactica 1980.

It's like us Battlestar fans just can't cut a break!!

Maybe that can change, in a small way, at least, with my scripts. Here are the links and you can decide for yourself (remember they're first drafts):

Part 1 (57-page 163k PDF)

Part 2 (55-page 155k PDF)

And, if you're not reading this on thepete.com, please go there and click on the "page 2" link to read my spoilerish comments regarding the series finale, assuming you want to read them. I think you might. You might also want to read more about my very own Battlestar Galactica finale script. Or not. But just know that I wrote both scripts over 2 weeks, before watching either of the two final episodes.

Posted via email from thepete's posterous



Orignal From: My Reaction to the Actual Battlestar Galactica Series Finale (no spoilers)

No comments: