Tuesday, September 12, 2006

BLACK DAHLIA (2006)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Well, I am familiar with the director's previous work, so I know not to let a slick looking trailer convince me Brian DePalma's latest film will definitely be good. It looks like an interesting story, based on the true story of a brutal murder, but DePalma is to movies what tabloids are to newspapers. His films are often entertaining, but very sensationalized.
Technically any good? As trailers go, it really kept my attention, though I'm tired of all the fast cuts and gimmicky transitions. The movie looks like it could be good. However, I don't care for Josh Hartnett--he never seems all that alive to me. Not at all dynamic. I'll see this movie, but only because of the story.
How did it leave me feeling? Enthused to see the film. I hope it's good DePalma from his earlier days. If you are interested in some Hitchcockian thrills, check out Sisters and/or Body Double.
Final Rating? SIYL - This movie covers a very gruesome murder. I seriously doubt it'll be everyone's cup of tea. However, if you can get past the disturbing subject matter and a bit of gore, I bet you'll enjoy this movie. The Black Dahlia opens here in the US on September 15, 2006. You can check the trailer out for yourself [http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/theblackdahlia/hd/|here].

Orignal From: BLACK DAHLIA (2006)

No comments: