Saturday, September 30, 2006

SENATE LEGISLATES AGAINST SIN I MEAN GAMBLING

One of the things that really gets to me is when politicians think/act like they are parents to the rest of us. I remember during the California govenor recall Bill Clinton called my voicemail and left a message telling me how recalling a governor was like recalling my parents. Needless to say, I voted for the recall (but I voted for the Lt. Governor to take over, not Arnold). So, you can imagine how annoyed I'd be when I read that the Senate snuck a provision banning Internet gambling into a bill designed to strengthen port security. First off, why is gambling still largely illegal? Apparently the American government feels that the American public is weak willed and unable to make decisions for themselves. Can you say no to gambling? I can. I spent a weekend in Las Vegas once and didn't gamble a dime. TheWife was with me and she gambled away $0.50 of her hard-earned money. What did we do there? We visited the Coca-Cola Museum, did the Star Trek Experience and, uh, spent a lot of time in our hotel room... AAAANYway, the point is, legislating away our ability to choose the "moral" path doesn't serve our moral character. If you'll "get in trouble" if you do something "bad" then you won't do it--not because it's "bad" but because it's against the law. So much for our free will, right? Beyond that, why does Bill Frist care so much about keeping us away from the sin of gambling when he's happy to torture terror suspects? I'm thinking that the United States Government is the last group of people I want deciding my morals.

Orignal From: SENATE LEGISLATES AGAINST SIN I MEAN GAMBLING

No comments: