Wednesday, March 04, 2009

SILVER CITY (2004)


Buy it!
Positive Experience/Entertaining? It was entertaining, but it was pretty damn preachy.


Technically any good? The story holds together and is entertaining (as I mentioned) but ultimately it comes off like a screed against the Republicans. Not that the film's criticism aren't fair, it's just that pounding on Republicans for the entire length of a film does not a good movie make (at least, not usually). The good news is that the plot and acting were interesting enough to keep me paying attention.

The story and script are both as tight as you'd expect from a John Sayles film, and the acting is as solid, too. Most notably for me, Danny Huston who, I believe, is now among my favorite actors thanks to his performance in this movie. I already liked him quite a bit after his turn in The Proposition but seeing him play the flawed-but-trying-to-do-the-right-thing detective in this film allowed me to really see his range. The guy is pretty damn good.


How did it leave me feeling? Satisfied and unsatisfied at the same time. While it was obviously a diatribe against the Bush Administration, I found myself wishing it wasn't so ham-fisted about it. Not that I feel sympathy for the Republicans, but because I feel like Democrats aren't entirely innocent, either. In this film the liberals are portrayed as just generally loserish and not corrupt. I wish!


Final Rating? NFI - NetFlix It - That's what I did. By far one of Sayles' worst movies (but Sayles is brilliant, so keep that in mind). I have yet to see Sunshine State, but give me something infinitely more subtle like Lonestar or even Passion Fish over this.

Orignal From: SILVER CITY (2004)

No comments: